For those who want to become a phlebotomist in Stafford, one of the prerequisites is to attend and complete phlebotomy training. There are physical and online classes to choose from, however, for both types of class, you can anticipate that there will be lessons or tests about practical applications which will require your actual presence. But, you don’t have to worry, because you will be given the chance to attend these classes at your most convenient time.
Who are Phlebotomists?
The job of a phlebotomist is to extract and take blood samples from patients for laboratory analysis or testing. You will make sure that the patients will be comfortable and will feel minimal pain while you do the blood extraction from the capillaries, veins, or the arteries.
Aside from a phlebotomy certification in Stafford VA, you must meet certain requirements to be a phlebotomist, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Possess a high school diploma or passed a GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Have a Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation certificate
- Have recent Hepatitis and other vaccinations
Why Become a Phlebotomist in Virginia?
The need for certified phlebotomists is stipulated to increase in the coming years, and because of this demand, there will be an increase in their salary range. Right now, the compensation ranges from $13 – $20 per hour. This will differ depending on the following considerations:
- Geographical Factors – the salary depends on each state, overall, in the United States the minimum wage ranges from $12.5 – $13 per hour, but in states like Alaska, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Maryland you can earn as much as fifteen to sixteen dollars per hour. However, the highest paying state is California, but they also demand a phlebotomist license and you need to undergo a training program for almost 9 months, before you can get hired.
- Qualifications – having certifications will definitely increase a phlebotomist’s pay. Non-certified practitioners only earn about eight to ten dollars per hour, so you better pursue a certification for you to earn at least $12.5 per hour.
- Experience – in any job, work experience is always a determining factor for your salary. The more experience you have on the job, the better compensation you get.
Phlebotomy Lessons in Stafford Virginia
The Stafford phlebotomy classes that you need to attend may vary, depending on which state you are getting your phlebotomy training, below are the major lessons and tests that you need to pass to complete the training:
- Physiology and Anatomy – to be a phlebotomist, you will need to know all the body organs and parts, their different functions and understand how homeostasis contributes to a person’s optimum health.
- Microbiology – here, you will learn the functions and structure of different micro-organisms, learn about bacteria and viruses that cause disease, and proper laboratory results recording.
- Human Interaction and Psychology – as a phlebotomist, you must have good bedside manner and general attitude in minding patients, you will be taught how to professionally handle all kinds of patients, as well as their family, especially the stressed and anxious ones.
- Lab Practicum and Phlebotomy – this is the practical application class, which you need to be physically present for. Here, you will be taught how to: properly and safely extract blood from arteries, veins and capillaries; proper needle insertion to minimize pain for patients; and other important do’s and don’ts of doing your job as a phlebotomist.
- Medical Math – you need to have some accurate calculation skills to become a phlebotomist. Conversion of units of measurement like ml to drops and other mathematical operations, come with your job description.
- Ethics and Legal Aspects – like any other fields, phlebotomists follow their own set of work ethics. You will be taught about the Patients’ Bill of Rights, proper medical ethics and things that you need to avoid which will cause you to lose your job or license.
Finding the Best Phlebotomy Schools in Stafford
Once you have decided to enter the field of phlebotomy, you will need to look for the best phlebotomy school to pursue your phlebotomy training.
The internet is the most sensible place to start searching, there are lots of phlebotomy associated websites and you can read forums, feedbacks about different schools.
Look for phlebotomy schools that have clinical training, practicum and equipment, you will surely be thankful for these, when you pass the exams and gain much needed experience to jumpstart your career.
You also need to take into consideration the class schedules, depth of the training module, and school fees. Lack of funds for school fees is the most encountered problem of phlebotomy students; it is beneficial to know which schools, laboratories and hospitals offer free phlebotomy training in exchange for your employment with them for a period of time.
You pursuit to become a phlebotomist does not end after completing and passing your phlebotomy training, you would also have to get phlebotomy certifications. Depending on which state you are in, there are different certifications required before you become qualified in your chosen profession. Also, having certifications usually entails higher salary in Stafford VA 22554, so it is best that you get one.
Phlebotomy Programs in Nearby Cities
Phlebotomy Training Near Me Stafford VA 22554
Other Cities Around Stafford Virginia 22554Stafford